The Light Novel series is the source material for the adaptation of the Anime and Manga series. The information and terminology on the article will be based on the source material rather than the adaptions.
Christine (クリスティーネ Kurisutiine) is an archnoble of Ehrenfest. She originally fled to the temple and became a blue shrine maiden to escape the harassment of her father's first wife. However, she was recalled to the nobility after the civil war and attended the Royal Academy.
Lady Christine is described by her former attendents as exceptionally elecant and graceful.
Christine is utterly devoted to art. She surrounds herself with exceptionally talented artists and musicians, and hones her own skill as a muscian so devotedly that even Prince Anastasius remembers her playing. Her life is defined by art, to the extent that Ferdinand remembers her as "the art loving shrine maiden" rather than by her actual name.
Christine was born the daughter of an archnoble and a concubine. For fear for her safety her father sent her to the temple, but also sent tutors to give her a proper noble upbringing, as well as plenty of money.
While at the temple Christine became an apprentice blue shrine maiden who loved and practised all kinds of arts and favoured gray shrine maidens who showed talents in any art. Wilma and Rosina became Christine's attendants due to their skill in drawing and playing harspiel, respectively.
After the civil war in the Sovereignty and the subsequent political purge, she was recalled to noble society and sent to the Royal Academy. While studying there, she became well aquainted with Eglantine of Klassenberg over their shared appreciation for the arts and the two attended many tea parties together. Her skill with the harspiel gained even the attention and appreciation of Prince Anastasius.
When Christine left the temple, she promised Rosina that she would come back to buy her and take her to the Noble's Quarter after she graduates from the Royal Academy. Upon running into Rosina again during Rozemyne's winter debut, however, Christine learned that her former temple attendant was now in Rozemyne's service as her personal musician.
- Sister Christine was served by two attendants (assigned by her parents' house), six grey shrine maidens who enjoyed arts, four grey priests who did chores and a chef with an assistant.
- She had several tutors to teach her noble matters.
- She was a night owl, rising late and playing music until late in the evening.
- Her retainers played songs for her to wake up in the morning and getting her dressed.
- She returned to the Noble's Quarter on a regular basis.
- She thinks of her time in the temple as a blissful time to enjoy.
- She used to say: "Look only at what is beautiful, listen only to beautiful sounds. Hone your artistic sense."
- In addition to Wilma and Rosina, Jenni was also one of Christine's attendants. After Christine left, Jenni went on to serve the High Bishop Bezewanst. She was very resentful of both Wilma and and Rosina.
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Fanbook 1. Q&A with Miya Kazuki
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 4 Volume 2. Chapter 6: Tea Party with the Music Professors
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 4 Volume 2. Honest Courting
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 3 Volume 3. Chapter 4: The Baptism Ceremony and Our Winter Debut
- Ascendance of a Bookworm Web Novel. Chapter 108
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 2 Volume 2. Chapter - The Attendant of an Apprentice Blue Shrine Maiden