The Light Novel series is the source material for the adaptation of the Anime and Manga series. The information and terminology on the article will be based on the source material rather than the adaptions.
|I’ll take good care of you as my little sister. All I ask, Rozemyne, is that you take good care of Lord Ferdinand too.|
Eckhart has dark green hair and blue eyes. His facial features resemble his father's, as does his tall and muscular build. He has a generally impassive expression.
Compared to the average retainer, Eckhart is single-minded in his devotion to Ferdinand. He was devastated when he left for the temple and has sworn to serve him out of deep, genuine respect. He also worries over Ferdinand’s health and occasionally enlists the help of Rozemyne to ensure he looks after himself.
During his time at the Royal Academy, Eckhart grew to deeply admire Ferdinand and dedicated himself to serving him as a guard knight alongside the scholar Justus. He also routinely reported back to his mother Elvira about Ferdinand's various achievements while in school. While Ferdinand was slow to trust Eckhart, he eventually proved his loyalty.
After graduating, Eckhart married his first wife Heidemarie, whom he loved deeply. However, she died unexpectedly at a young age and the couple had no children. Ever since then, he has been reluctant to remarry.
His loyalty and admiration to Ferdinand was so great that Eckhart name-swore himself to him, despite Ferdinand being very much in disfavour of Veronica, while she was still the driving power of Ehrenfest's politics.
His official service ended abruptly when Ferdinand joined the temple to escape Veronica's abuse, because he could not serve a priest in an official capacity. However, he refused to serve another master and flatly turned down his father's request that he become a retainer to Wilfried. He continued to help Ferdinand whenever he could, albeit unofficially.
On one occasion, he and Justus were tasked with investigating Myne's background in the lower city of Ehrenfest; however, Eckhart became ill due to the foul smell of the commoner's district and spent much of the mission recovering at an inn. He later helped Justus break into the Merchant's Guild and questioned craftsmen who had done business with Myne.
See Story Tab.
See Relationships Tab.
Skills and Abilities
Spoiler from Royal Academy Stories - First Year
- Projectile Proficiency: Eckhart is very proficient with non-magical throwing weapons. He is able to precisely hit a specific spot on Angelica with a knife thrown in the middle of a howling blizzard, adjusting his aim to compensate for the wind, without Angelica even being aware of his attack until the projectile impacts on her armour.
- He sold information on Ferdinand to his mother for pocket money during their time in the Royal Academy.
- His name was previously translated as "Eckehard" but was revised in Part 3 Volume 1. The anime translation refers to him as "Eckhard."
- He is one of the few people who know that Rozemyne was the commoner Myne.
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 4 Volume 5. Chapter 15: Leaving for the Royal Academy
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 3 Volume 4. Chapter 10: The Dress Debut and Ferdinand's Return
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 3 Volume 1. Chapter 2: Preparing for the Baptism Ceremony
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 3 Volume 1. Chapter 10: Starbind Ceremony in the Noble's Quarter
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 3 Volume 2. Chapter 11: Hasse's Contract
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 4 Volume 2. Chapter 18: Ferdinand and Hirschur's Gifts
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 3 Volume 3. Epilogue
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 3 Volume 2. Justus's Grand Lower City Infiltration
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Fanbook 1. Q&A with Miya Kazuki
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Royal Academy Stories - First Year. Chapter 8: Angelica - A Guard Knight at the Temple