The Light Novel series is the source material for the adaptation of the Anime and Manga series. The information and terminology on the article will be based on the source material rather than the adaptions.
|She often baffles me, but even so, I would like to continue serving and being of use to Lady Rozemyne however I can.|
Serious and respectful by nature, Fran is wholeheartedly dedicated to his work at the temple. He sets high expectations for himself and feels enormously frustrated when he fails to achieve what is asked of him; conversely, he is happiest when he can do his job to the best of his ability. Fran also dislikes rudeness and impropriety, and has a polite demeanor which can seem stand-offish.
Fran has exceptional control over his own emotions, rarely showing them on his face without intending to. The only time he ever lost his composure was when Thore shouted that Rozemyne has no idea what it was like to be seperated from family members. Having witnessed his mistresses heart-break over being seperated from her family this made him angry enough to slap the orphan.
One of the first masters he served as an apprentice attendant was Sister Margaret, a blue shrine maiden and the former orphanage director. A cruel woman, Sister Margaret used her position to sexually abuse underage gray priests, including Fran, in her hidden room. The trauma of the experience gave Fran a strong distrust of women, especially blue shrine maidens.
When it became known that Sister Margaret had slept with a gray priest, she was disgraced and was forbidden from returning with the other blue shrine maidens during the recall of the blue priests. She fell into despair and committed suicide. Fran did nothing to stop her and was deeply relieved when she died.
Although Fran didn't realize it, this experience earned him the intense hatred of Arno, a fellow gray priest who served Sister Margaret alongside him. Arno was infatuated with the blue shrine maiden and jealous of Fran, who rejected her advances. He later grew to blame Fran for her death as well, and spent the rest of his life doing everything he could to make Fran suffer.
After her death, Ferdinand entered the temple and took both Fran and Arno as his attendants. Fran grew to admire Ferdinand's skill and worked hard to serve him as well as possible. As a result, he soon became one of Ferdinand's most trusted and valued attendants.
see Story Tab
- When Fran was serving as Ferdinand's attendant, his coming-of-age gift was a pen. He still treasures it. He also received a diptych from Myne.
- He is about as tall as Myne's father.
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 2 Volume 1. Chapter 1: Attendants and the Fealty Ceremony
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 2 Volume 4. Side Story 3: Arno - Fran and I
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 2 Volume 1. Chapter 4: Benno's Meeting With the High Priest
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 3 Volume 2. Chapter 4: The Orphan's Treatment & Investigating the City
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 2 Volume 4. Chapter 5: To Serve as the High Bishop's Attendant
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 2 Volume 1. Chapter 5: The Meeting Begins