The Light Novel series is the source material for the adaptation of the Anime and Manga series. The information and terminology on the article will be based on the source material rather than the adaptions.
The game of warf is played by commoners during the Harvest Festival held in farming towns. Those playing represent their villages and determine the hierarchy in the winter mansion, while putting their honour on the line.
- The field is divided into quarters, with first dividing the court into two halves, where the teams divide their own fields into halves again. Additionally, another line is drawn to mark the furthest quarter. After that a loop is placed at either half's end.
- The game begins by throwing the warf against the ground in the centre of the field.
- In the middle two quarters, the warf can only be kicked, just like soccer.
- In the far quarters, the warf may be picked up.
- When the warf is being carried and therefore not suffering impacts, it may show its head. If the warf shows its head, it is a foul and must be handed to the opposing team.
- A point is scored by placing the warf in the loop at your teams end of the field reminding one of handball or rugby.
- There are no rules against pushing, shoving, tackling, snatching the warf out of people's hands and even kicking people who are on the ground.
- People can and often do get hurt during the games. Since they don't have any work to do until the next spring and thus have all of winter to heal, it is considered an acceptable risk.