The Light Novel series is the source material for the adaptation of the Anime and Manga series. The information and terminology on the article will be based on the source material rather than the adaptions.
Gundolf, like many nobles from Drewanchel, is a scholar and appears to be quite renowned. Even so, according to Anastasius, Hirschur has made some breakthroughs that even Gundolf "could make neither head nor tail of it.".
In his youth Gundolf was an archduke candidate and took archduke courses at the academy.
To escape the pressure and constant distractions of the cutthroat politics among the archduke candidates of his homeduchy, he arranged for himself to be adopted by an archnoble to lose his archduke candidate status shortly after his graduation, so he could dedicate himself to his research. Later he became a professor at the royal academy.
During Rozemyne's second year at the royal academy Professor Gundolf during one of his lectures speaks very enthusiastically about the potentials of Verification Paper that has only recently been invented and revealed by Ehrenfest and used to facilitate trade between the inter-duchy trade between. He is very eager to start researching this new invention, which he as well as many other researchers from Drewanchel presume to be a magic tool.
- Gundolf has an unnamed cameo during Part 4 Volume 1, as one of the professors coming to see Rozemyne's highbeast during the highbeast creation class.
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Royal Academy Stories - First Year. Chapter 15: Ortwin - The Drewanchel Siblings
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 4 Volume 2. Honest Courting
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 4 Volume 6. Investigating the Former Werkestock Dormitory
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 4 Volume 6. Chapter 12: Professor Hirschur’s Laboratory
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 4 Volume 1. Chapter 21: Passing Highbeast Creation