|This article requires more information! Please help us out by editing this page|
The Light Novel series is the source material for the adaptation of the Anime and Manga series. The information and terminology on the article will be based on the source material rather than the adaptions.
|Myne, if whoever you marry can't protect you, I'll come beat him up myself.|
— Gunther to Myne in Part 2 Vol. 4 Chapter 15
He is currently in charge of the northern gate.
Gunther has blue hair and light brown eyes. Myne initially describes him as a "mean-looking, muscular guy" who is very strong thanks to his work as a soldier. His work uniform consists of a blue tunic.
Gunther is a doting and devoted father and loves to talk about his family, especially about his daughters to anyone who will listen. He is quite aggressive if his family is threatened and will put himself at risk to defend them. This is shown among other times when defending Myne against the High Bishop twice even though he knows that attacking a noble would cost him his life. Gunther is described as being like a child, that can't tell reality and dream apart. He charges head-on without considering his surroundings or consequences, and feels frustrated if he doesn't reach his goal.
He easily gets jealous or pouty when his daughters praise other men in his presence without also praising him, but is easily put back into a good mood once they acknowledge his "greatness".
His greatest treasure is his family, and he became a soldier to protect them.
Gunther is the son of a woodworker and dreamed of becoming a knight after listening to minstrel tales of knights. He didn't gave up his dream and became a soldier who protected his city. He applied for apprenticeship at the gate asking the commander, who was also Effa's father, and was accepted.
When he first met Effa he fell in love with her at first sight and would visit her every single day at her home and ask her father for her hand in marriage. Thanks to Gunther's passion his marriage proposal was consented if Effa wanted to marry him. Eventually he won Effa over by proposing like a knight would; he knelt in front of Effa and offered a magic stone he acquired after slaying a feybeast. He said: "I became a soldier because I genuinely want to protect this city and my family. You didn't laugh at that, Effa, and I love you for it. I want you by my side."
During his work he became well acquainted with the traveling merchant Otto. When Otto out of the blue bought his citizenship in Ehrenfest and needed a job to propose to his crush Corinna, Gunther introduced him to the gate commander and Otto was hired as a soldier, so they had someone competent to do all the paperwork.
By the time Myne reached her fifth year, his dedicated service has earned him the position of Captain, the second in command at his local post.
The teams guarding each gate get relocated in regular intervals. At the start of the story Gunther is guarding the southern gate and thus often sees and interacts with the children going out to forage in the forest.
see Story Tab
Skill and Abilities
- Carving: While not quite on the level of a professional craftsman, Gunther is still quite talented in woodworking.
- Combat: As a soldier, Gunther is well-trained in hand-to-hand combat. He was able to take down multiple gray priests singlehandedly, and even fight weaker devouring soldiers head on.
- When Justus is seeking information about Myne from the soldiers at the gate where Gunther works, he was warned off by the soldiers not to bring up Gunther's daughters with Gunther as he will talk your ear off about them to you.
- Effa thinks Gunther is at fault for how Myne behaves. In fact, they are similar in the way that both of them will charge head on towards their goals while disregarding everything else, and will protect their loved ones without hesitation even when faced against overwhelming odds.
- Gunther loves the refreshing feeling when drinking behelle after work.
- His name was most likely inspired by the common German first names of Günther or Gunter. The use of ギュ (gyu) rather than グ (gu) makes the former the more likely candidate for the origin.
- Rozemyne thinks a man who protects and supports her unconditionally like Gunther would be her ideal marriage partner. During her second attempt to obtain ruelle fruit for her Jureve, she "measured" Eckhart and Karstedt's coolness using Gunther as reference.
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Fanbook 1. Q&A with Miya Kazuki
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 4 Volume 4. Preventing Destructive Reconstruction
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 1 Volume 1. Chapter 2: Exploring My Home
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Fanbook 2. I'm Not Givin' Up My Daughter!
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 1 Volume 2. Gossiping by the Well
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 1 Volume 3. Epilogue