The Light Novel series is the source material for the adaptation of the Anime and Manga series. The information and terminology on the article will be based on the source material rather than the adaptions.
|As always, Justus frames everything to be in his favor. Rozemyne, know that he is an eccentric man. He loves gathering information and materials above all else.|
Justus has gray hair and brown eyes. Although he is slightly on the shorter side and has a slender build, he has an “ordinary” appearance that helps him to blend in with crowds when gathering information.
When dressed as a woman, he looks “like a refined middle-aged lady” with brown hair. Because he has an androgynous face, Rozemyne comments that it doesn’t take much makeup to change his appearance. He bears a strong resemblance to his mother, Rihyarda, and his sister, Gudrun.
Justus’s prevailing trait is his insatiable curiosity. He loves to gather information, rumors, strange magical materials, rare spells, and anything that is new and unusual to him. Once he has collected something, however, he doesn’t have any particular interest in researching it further.
He goes to great lengths in pursuit of his hobby and is willing to disguise himself as a woman or a commoner when needed. His single-minded enthusiasm can even override his survival instinct, putting himself and his companions in danger.
In most situations, Justus has a friendly and easygoing personality. He tends to speak his mind and is not intimidated by status, occasionally even teasing Ferdinand. Despite his familiar attitude, he has a strong sense of loyalty and feels contempt for those who shirk their duties, including his own nephew Traugott.
Justus is more than willing to stand in as a guard, should Ferdinand require one in a position where regular guard knights aren't available or trustworthy enough.
When Justus was a child, he noticed that attendants and servants often spoke in an entirely different manner when away from their masters, saying things that they otherwise wouldn’t have. That led to him developing an interest in collecting information.
Eventually, his mother Rihyarda scolded him that he should become a scholar if he loved gathering information so much, and use his enthusiasm to collect valuable intelligence for Sylvester. He did as Rihyarda suggested and enrolled in both the attendant and scholar courses at the Royal Academy. (When Ferdinand later wanted to take multiple courses, Justus was the one who told him it was possible.)
However, Justus found that the information he brought to Sylvester usually ended up being put to good use by Ferdinand, his right-hand man. He came to admire Ferdinand’s ability to connect seemingly irrelevant facts and use them to defeat the nobles who opposed him. Ultimately, Justus went against his mother’s wishes and chose to serve Ferdinand instead, alongside the guard knight Eckhart.
When Ferdinand abandoned noble society and entered the temple, Justus could no longer officially work as his attendant. However, he continued to assist Ferdinand in a reduced capacity, helping to gather intelligence and serving as a tax official when needed.
Not long after Myne joined the temple, Ferdinand assigned Justus and Eckhart to investigate her activities in the Lower City. After he was unable to gather information by disguising himself as a commoner, he and Eckhart broke into the Merchant's Guild building at night to investigate her official records.
See Story Tab
- Intelligence Work: Justus is very skilled at gathering difficult-to-find information. However, Rozemyne reflects no one but Ferdinand could make sense of the random details and gossip he collects.
- Mimicry: As Justus explains, his line of work demands that he be able to “mimic men of all statures.” He is able to adapt his speech patterns, movement, lifestyle and attitude as necessary to gather information.
- Disguise: Justus can disguise himself effectively as a commoner and, more impressively, as a woman. Despite being familiar with him, Rozemyne mistakes him for a woman the first time she sees him cross-dressed.
- Lip Reading: Justus is able to read lips.
- Combat: Despite being an attendant and scholar by profession, Justus is strong enough to follow Ferdinand on his ingredient-hunting trips. He is able to overpower Traugott, an archnoble apprentice knight.
Spoiler from Royal Academy Stories - First Year
- Sewing: To facilitate his crossdressing Justus learned to be a surprising skilled seamstress. He was not only able to make his own dress - styled after an Ehrenfest attendant uniform closely enough that only a local would notice the difference on closer inspection - but also modified it to allow him to change into and out of it without the help of an attendant and added concealed pockets beneath the skirt to hide extra tools.
- Justus and his mother, Rihyarda, are among the few characters in the series to use the terms “milady” (hime-sama, literally “princess”) and “my boy” (bochama, a “young master” or a young man from a rich family). They both often use “milady” to refer to Rozemyne.
- His name was previously translated as "Eustachius." It was revised to "Justus" in Part 3 Volume 2. The official anime translation used "Eustachius".
- Justus is banned from traveling in Rozemyne's Pandabus, because he asks too many questions and makes it hard for her to concentrate.
- Justus and Eckhart both own a complete set of the forbidden illustrations of Ferdinand sold at Rozemyne’s harspiel charity concert. He presumably acquired them due to his love of collecting.
- He once nearly caused Mount Lohenberg to erupt by stealing too many Riesefalke eggs.