The Light Novel series is the source material for the adaptation of the Anime and Manga series. The information and terminology on the article will be based on the source material rather than the adaptions.
|I love tasty food, and the best part about serving you is the food I get to cook.|
Nicola has a very bright and bubbly personality. She loves cooking things but loves eating them more.
Nicola finds working in the high priest's chamber very unpleasant. While she does not mind the paperwork itself too much and is decent at it, she feels suffocated by the silance and ends up with a strong urge to speak, which is unpleasant to suppress. Thankfully cooking - apart from being her passion to begin with - also serves as good way to escape the paperwork, since lunch is prepared while this work is being done.
When Myne found out that she had to stay in the temple over winter, she had Fran ask her chefs if any were willing to stay as well. Ella was willing to stay however Hugo and Todd chose not to. Myne asked Rosina to have Wilma recommend two grey apprentice shrine maidens to help Ella. Monika and Nicola were recommended and spent the winter cooking with Ella. They did this partially so that Myne would learn who they were and taken them on as attendants.
After Myne dismissed Delia from her service, Fran asked Myne to consider taking on a new attendant so she had someone to direct her compassion towards. Myne chose to take on both Monika and Nicola as they were both capable but Myne did not feel right only choosing one.
Nicola predominantly works in Rozemyne's kitchen or serving food and drinks.
When Rozemyne attends the Royal Academy, Ella acompanies her as a cook, leaving the cooking for Rozemyne's grey priest attendants at the temple solely to Nicola. Once Rozemyne returns partway through her first term for the Dedication Ritual, she brings Ella back with her, since it would be unreasonable to have Ella handle all the cooking for Rozemyne and all the people that came back with her alone.
Royal Academy Stories - First Year - Concurrent with Part 4 Volume 2
Now that Angelica has finished all her classes she is given permission to stay at the temple overnight. On her first day of work at the temple, Angelica messes up and is very depressed about not being able to do even the one thing she can actually do - guard duty - right. Desperate to manage at least one thing that Rozemyne asked of her, she pleads with Nicola to become friends, since Rozemyne asked Angelica to become friends with her temple attendants. Despite the differences in their respective upgringing and statuses, the two young women manage to strike up a friendship.
- As an orphan she didn't know what a "mother" or in general a "family" is. She was impressed my this "mother" Ella talked about and agreed with Monika, that the "mother" is quite kind.
- Her nickname "Smiley Nicola" (ニコニコ ニコラ, Nikoniko Nikora) is a Japanese wordplay of her name, as ニコ (niko) is a descriptive phrase often used for smiles.
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 2 Volume 2. Apprentice Chef in the Temple
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 3 Volume 2. Wilfried's Day and the High Bishop
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Royal Academy Stories - First Year. Chapter 8: Angelica - A Guard Knight at the Temple
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 2 Volume 2. Chapter 17: A Discussion About Winter Preparations
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 2 Volume 4. Chapter 10: The Shadow Falls
- Ascendance of a Bookworm. Part 4 Volume 2. Chapter 15: An Order to Return to Ehrenfest